Our Outreach Ministry is a outreach to the less fortunate that seeks to mobilize
the community to restore hope and change lives. You will see by the following programs how
we support these objectives.
- The Dominican Republic Ministry tries to help alleviate poverty in the country through fundraisers and annual working trips there. Charlie Nakash, a parishioner, was approved and appointed as a Missionary to the Dominican Republic by the National Church, Bishop Councell, and Dominican Republic’s Bishop, Bishop Holguin. Charlie expects to serve for a year beginning in March 2012.
- The Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) of Ocean County is an organization of support congregations of which Christ Church is a member. You help by becoming a volunteer to assist homeless families by preparing food, hosting guests at our church in the evenings and overnight, playing with children, helping with homework, and assisting parents with parenting and home management.
- We are members of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Ocean County. HFH is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry that seeks to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world. Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses with the help of the homeowner (partner) families.
- Members of our parish belong to Caregiver Volunteers of Central Jersey. The organization provides volunteers to assist frail elderly with simple daily tasks enabling them to live, with dignity, where they are most comfortable in their own homes. There is never a charge for help provided.
- There are serveral hospices in the local area among which we have Hospice Volunteers. They serve as members of the hospice team by sharing skills and interests in a manner that provides comfort and enriches the quality of life for those served. Each hospice provides its own volunteer training.
- Each year many members of our parish donate to and/or join the Ocean County Crop Walk. A Crop Walk is neighbors walking together to take a stand against hunger in our world. The purpose is to raise awareness and funds for international relief and development, as well as local hunger-fighting.
- Our Health Ministry acts primarily in educating and assessing the problems of parishioners and others in need; and then pointing them to the right professional source of help. Our members are a mix of health care professionals and trained caregivers. Access to them is through our clergy.
- Women of Christ Church (WCC) are a dedicated group of women who contribute their time and talents as well as financial help to our church and community. They assist with programs sponsored by our Episcopal Youth Community (EYC), outreach programs, and our parish youth. Their big event each year is the Holiday Fair held just in time to do your Christmas shopping.
- The Clergy and People for Toms River Workforce Housing is an informal affiliation of like-minded clergy and citizens whose goal is to address the workforce housing shortage in Toms River. It seeks to facilitate new construction, rehabilitation, purchase, and rental of homes and apartments for moderate income people.
- Christ Episcopal Church Community Center (CECCC) is the parish's current major outreach project. This non-profit corporation uses paid and volunteer help to assist needy families through counseling, education and other support services.
- Pet Ministries: Parishioners have been involved in the Seeing Eye Puppy- Raising Program. Until a Seeing Eye dog is ready for training, it spends its time with a “foster family,” a family that gives the dog love, gentle guidance, and consistent care. Therapy Dogs Handlers is another way our members have participated. Owners of well-behaved dogs share the special love and attention their pets give to them, with other less fortunate individuals.
- Pipes & Drums of Barnegat Bay: The band is sponsored by Christ Church and is one of only 3 Episcopal Churches in US that sponsors a bagpipe band. They play at various events and at occasional church services. They are one of 3 bands that participate in Scottish Games in (Music and Heavy Events) in NJ. Anyone with a desire to learn is welcome. We offer free lessons..